Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Dining room evolution

Untitled

Here's the house when I first moved in, just bare, sticky floors in the kitchen and dining room where golden carpet had reigned for 30 or so years. When I got here I was totally broke, so I found some carpet sample tiles at the local furniture store on the cheap and cut each to fit a square tile pattern... this took nearly 80 hours (shown below), but fate didn't have it in its plans I guess, because all that work got destroyed in a small accident (I'll say no more to protect the innocent), and eventually I just replaced the hard-won tile job with a simple tan carpet.

Untitled

And below is the most recent dining room incarnation. It's definitely a little more traditional than Panton chairs and a 50s chrome table, but I was able to keep it funky by painting the cabinets and lining the interiors with reclaimed lumber. Inside each are mostly thrift store finds, a rolling pin hanging rack I made, and two antique windows a contractor friend was replacing and let me have. Above, the 'Egg Room' sign was formerly a part of my parents' horse barn, which was for years a chicken hatchery before we moved in.


Untitled
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
#Navbar1 { margin: 0; padding: 0; display: none; visibility: hidden; }